A 13 day adventure exploring the textiles and
cultural traditions of northern Vietnam
7-19 May 2016
Textiles, travel, craft, exploration! Does this sound like your cup of tea?
If so, you're invited to join a small group of like-minded textile-enthused women for the experience of a lifetime, visiting specialist handicraft villages, undertaking hands-on weaving, dyeing and embroidery workshops, exploring some of South East Asia's most jaw-dropping scenery and meeting and staying with the colourful hilltribe people who live there. Plus much, much more.
This tour, accompanied by a local (English speaking) Vietnamese guide, starts and ends in the beautiful city of Hanoi where we will spend several days based in the vibrant Old Quarter, exploring the town and its foremost sightseeing attractions in addition to nearby silk weaving and basketry craft villages.
An overnight train journey takes us to Sapa where we will spend three nights, one of those in a rural village homestay while we participate in weaving, batik, dyeing and embroidery workshops. We will also have the opportunity to cook (and eat) Vietnamese/Hmong food with our homestay hosts!
From Sapa we travel to Ha Giang province, a magnificent highland region near the Chinese border, comprising lush forests and terraced rice paddies, with the dramatic mountains of Heaven's Gate soaring in the background. This remote and spectacular area only opened to tourists in very recent years and is known as Vietnam's final frontier. We will spend several days visiting local hilltribe villages, visiting a specialist textile village providing skills and livelihood to victims of human trafficking, shopping at the local textile and general markets and trekking through spectacular landscapes.
Our final couple of days before returning to Hanoi will be spent at a guesthouse on the shores of beautiful Ba Be Lake, exploring the area by boat, visiting waterfalls and relaxing.
Included in price
- local English speaking guide throughout the tour
- all transport, sightseeing attractions (museums, galleries, etc), workshops and excursions as per the itinerary
- accommodation as per the itinerary
- meals as per the itinerary (11 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 3 dinners)
- one group airport transfer each way
Not included in price
- international airfares
- travel insurance (compulsory)
- early check in or late check out
- meals and drinks not included in the itinerary
- expenditure of a personal nature
- tips and gratuities
- extra activities
Price: AUD $2,345.00 per person.
A non-refundable deposit of AUD $300.00 is required to secure your place*.
The balance will be due by close of business on 26 February 2016.
Things to note
- the tour comprises 12 nights/13 days and operates from Saturday 7th – Thursday 19th May 2016. The opportunity exists to extend your trip by an extra night or two at our hotel in Hanoi before or after the tour, at the special group discount price of AUD $60.00 per room per night;
- accommodation is in single rooms in 3 star hotels, except for the homestay and overnight train trip where accommodation is shared and more basic;
- we are striving to offer a culturally, environmentally and economically sustainable tour. To this end: we have engaged local guides and hosts; we visit several workshops and business enterprises that are either village co-ops (ie. all profits returned directly to the villagers), fair trade organisations and/or projects aimed at providing vocational training and experience to local youth or disadvantaged communities; the tour price also includes a carbon offset;
- this trip includes several two to four hour treks so a moderate level of fitness and mobility are required;
- this trip is offered in partnership with a licensed travel agent and tour operator for your (and our) peace of mind;
- the itinerary is a full one, however several free periods (some afternoons and several evenings) are built into the schedule;
- a detailed daily itinerary is available;
- one group airport transfer each way is included so where possible we will encourage guests to coordinate arrival/departure times as close as possible. Guests who choose to fly at different times should note that a taxi to/from Hanoi and the airport costs approximately AUD $50.00. Pre-arranged airport transfers can also be arranged at an additional cost of AUD $50.00 per transfer.
To secure your place on this exciting textile adventure or for more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a booking form and detailed itinerary.
We hope you will join us!
Susan Keeble and Susan Rees-Osborne
* Should the minimum number of guests not be achieved and the tour does not go ahead, your $300.00 deposit will be returned.
+ All photos used by permission of Peregrine Adventures Pty Ltd.